Holiday Update - December 2013


Dear Friends,

It has been over 18 months since the inception of the scholarship fund in honor of Bill.  As we approach the end of the fall semester, I would like to give you a report on the students who have already been helped by the William D. Roe PLC Scholarship during this short period of time.  Thanks to your generous support, seven students have now received scholarship awards.  In 2012, three students were awarded scholarships.  These students also received additional matching funds from the University of Oklahoma’s Alumni Fund.  Four additional freshmen from the Houston area are being helped in 2013-14 school year.  All those selected are outstanding leaders and have already made a positive impact at OU. 

I wish each of you could have a chance to meet these students and learn more about their interests and activities.  This past summer, Peggy, Taylor and I attended a luncheon in Houston to meet the newest scholarship recipients and their families.  We were very impressed with the caliber of students chosen and the students and families were so appreciative of the financial assistance in Bill’s name.  You made this possible and I want you to know that your gifts are making a difference.  I am confident that Bill would be proud of the students.  

Peggy giving a toast to the award recipients.


The family & OU Foundation staff with award recipients:
Darryl Prevost, Dylan Pugliese, Trina Bean and Erin Stanfill
Thanks to your generosity and the Foundation’s positive investment performance in 2013, Bill’s scholarship fund has now grown to $202,438. At this level, the fund will now be able to provide future Houston-area students selected for the President’s Leadership Class scholarships during their freshman year.  Bill’s legacy lives on. 

I remain impressed and humbled by the outpouring of support from so many friends and thank you again for your gifts to this fund made in Bill’s honor.  Once the scholarship was established, Bill became its biggest ambassador and I believe in honoring him in this way we provided a little extra energy to help him extend his fight.    

Should you have questions about the scholarship honoring Bill, please don’t hesitate to let me know.  In the meantime, I hope you will all join me in pausing this holiday season to remember my brother and friend, Bill Roe, who will remain in our hearts forever.

Happy Holidays,
Harvie

"The things you do for yourself are gone when you are gone, but the things you do for others remain as your legacy." --Kalu Ndukwe Kalu (author)